Wednesday, March 25, 2009

avast ye matey! treasures!


I looove Bellevue Goodwill. It's like a garage sale in Beverly Hills or something. Its blows my mind sometimes what some people throw out....and there is complete crap also, ignore that stuff and skim the very best of the best ONLY. :)
I do this occasionally to kill an hour or two between clients when I am stuck near Microsoft (this Goodwill is right up the street from MS).
My favorite things to look for are dishes, (milk glass, original fiesta ware, stemware, glass or crystal that is clean cut and not floofy, cake and pie dishes that are photo worthy (think Martha...), wall art/photo frames, small furniture that can be HGTVized, and books. I LOVE to find great cheap books!
I found 3 fantastic books that I have been wanting to read:


1. The Glass Castle- Already started it, can barely put it down to make this post. recommended by Jen, I can see why you liked it, wild and quirky, disturbing but endearing.

2. The Memory Keepers Daughter- recommended by Pam, we'll compare notes....

3. The Lovely Bones- can't recall who recommended it but it was one of my friends, its about a 14 year old girl that dies and watches her life go on with out her in it, her family grieves and moves on etc, its her story. seems fascinating.


Also, I found a fabulous gold/silver framed mirror, not sure where I will put it yet but at $15 it was a treasure I had to drag home. :)
I also found a few other little bits and pieces, set of 4 adorable silver demitasse spoons for .20 cents each, etc.
Oh, they also have a designer labels section with Seven for All Mankind, Citizens, Coach etc. kind of fun, but it is hit and miss. So far I have been more miss than hit.....


3 comments:

  1. Such great finds! I'm so very jealous of your mirror, its fantastic! I second the recommendation for the Memory Keepers Daughter. They made a cheesy lifetime movie after it as well, it wasn't actually too bad and it stayed pretty true to the book. I'm so happy that you're enjoying The Glass Castle - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to thrift stores! Let me know if you ever want a buddy to tag along.

    BTW, I'm making Amish Friendship Bread next week and will have some left over starter. Would you like a batch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Salina . . . love your posts so far!

    ReplyDelete